Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Story

I recently went searching for a book written by Ram Dass and although I didn't find what I was looking for, in a way, the book that I really needed to read, found me.

I'm the type of person who buys a bottle of wine based upon the label. It's all about the presentation and what I connect to at that moment. The title of this book grabbed my attention , the way Thich Nhat Hanh's new book " You Are Here" did the same. Another book I highly recommend. "One Soul, One Love, One Heart. The Sacred Path to Healing All Relationships." by John E. Welshons with a forward by Ram Dass. I'm on a path of soul searching at the present moment, more so than usual, and this book has supported my eagerness, determination, and practice to heal the relationship I have with myself, friends and family.

This morning I read this incredible story that I would like to share it with you.

"One of my favorite stories about Mahatma Gandhi involves a distraught mother who brought her young son to see Gandhi. She said, " Gandhi-ji, will you please tell my son to stop eating surgar? He is Diabetic, and sugar is very bad for him. He won't listen to me, but might listen to you." Gandhi sat quietly for a moment. When he finally spoke, he said nothing about sugar. He simply asked, " Will you bring your son back in one week?" The mother was puzzled, but she respectfully replied, "Yes, of course, Gandhi- Ji."
When she and her son returned one week later, they again stood before Gandhi. This time, Gandhi looked directly at the boy and said, " Young man, you must stop eating sugar. It is not good for you, and it is very troubling to your mother when you eat it."
The boy said, "Yes, Gandhi-ji. I will stop."
The mother was grateful, but also a little perplexed. "Thank you Gandhi-ji. But please tell me, why did you make us come back in one week? Why couldn't you just tell my son to stop eating sugar last week?"
Gandhi smiled and replied, "Last week, I myself, was still eating sugar." "

If you yourself are not ready for change then how can you expect or tell another to do so?

I invite you to ponder this story further :)